This blog will answer the question about “how to wear anklets?” including anklet meanings, ankle bracelet rules and tips, and so on. Let’s discover now before developing or launching new anklets.
What are Anklets?
Anklets, also known as ankle bracelets or ankle chains, are jewelry pieces worn around the ankle. Being close to the ground, they seem to be used as a sort of protection. Anklets can be made of precious metals such as gold or silver or fun beads and charms. They are seductive and provocative, making a big comeback right now.
Anklets Meaning in Different Cultures
Anklets First Found
The excavation of Sumerian tombs revealed traces of ankle bracelets 4500 years ago in Mesopotamia, the world’s first civilization.
In the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, a Female Attendant sculpture dates from the 4th-5th centuries BC. This sculpture is dressed in “diaphanous robes” with band anklets on both ankles, demonstrating their archaic course.
- Anklets first appeared in America in the 1940s, when fans of traditional pop music, particularly ardent fans of Frank Sinatra, formed a sociological group known as bobby soxers. Poodle skirts, sandals, short white socks, and anklets to highlight the socks became the signature fashion costume of the teenage and young adult women swooning over Sinatra.
- However, anklet mania in the United States peaked only in the mid-1960s, when the hippie movement erupted. The bohemian spirit spread worldwide, and many in the West developed a taste for Eastern culture. As a result, Eastern-inspired anklets became an essential part of hippie fashion.
- Later, some conservatives ascribed negative connotations to ankle bracelets, claiming that wearing anklets is a call-girl thing.
- In the US today, anklets are worn for fashion and beauty, with no stereotypes or clichés attached, unless a wearer puts personal meaning into his/her anklet.
In southeast Asia, it was customary to wear anklets on both ankles connected by a chain to achieve the “feminine” short tripping step.
- Indian culture has flair shared in the anklets’ symbolism. In India, ankle bracelets or payals are closely associated with traditional weddings.
Whether it’s magical barefoot anklets with toe rings or intricate charm chains, anklets are now a required component of any bridal costume in India, alongside sarees. Besides, ankle strings may indicate the woman’s marital status.
- There’s another meaning for anklets in India. Married women wore jingling anklets to make a sound when entering the room and to keep men from indecent conversations.
- Women in rural India now wear rigid, heavy anklets to symbolize fortitude and endurance.
- Every year in March, the Indians hold the Elephant Festival in Jaipur, where they decorate their elephants with colors and jewelry. You can even see female elephants wearing anklets with charms, bells, and trinkets.
- An ankle bracelet was once worn by Egyptian women from all walks of life. And it indicates social status. If it was gold, it denoted a higher social class, whereas silver or iron denoted a lower social class. The Egyptians used the same term menefret for bracelets and anklets, distinguishing them only by the phrase “for arms” or “for feet.” Menefrets were massive, all-powerful, with baubles hanging down.
- Then there were kholkhal, rigid cuff anklets, usually in bright gold, that Alexandrian women wore in the early twentieth century.
- Because of Islamic conservatism, many Egyptian women nowadays avoid wearing anklets in public. However, the tradition of wearing jangling anklets continues.
Left Anklet Meaning
- Anklets worn on the left ankle signify that one is married or has a lover.
- There’s a subculture of anklet-wearing people who hold a view that a heart charms anklet worn on the left ankle could be a signal that he/she is interested in casual “hooking up” rather than a serious long-term relationship.
- Another reference is that wearing an anklet on the left ankle is generally associated with evil forces. By wearing the anklet on the left side, the wearers simply protect themselves from the Devil.
Right Anklet Meaning
Wearing an ankle bracelet on the right ankle could indicate that you are still single and searching. However, if people married wear an anklet on the right ankle, the conveyed message is that they are open to extramarital affairs.
Which Ankle to Wear Anklets?
Whether the above are definite truths or old wives’ tales, it makes no difference which ankles for ankle bracelets today. There’s no strict rule on which ankle you can wear a bracelet on. An anklet can be worn on either ankle. There’re no hidden messages on wearing it on the left versus the right.
How Many Anklets Should One Wear？
People can wear several anklets which overlap one another if the anklets are thin. There’re no hard rules about how many anklets should one wear.
How to Wear Anklets Right: 5 Anklet Etiquette Rules?
Everything goes when wearing anklets. Wearing an anklet depends on a person’s taste and style. People can put anklets on all year round and some choose to wear them only in the summer when they are at the pool or beach. Whatever, some fundamental ankle bracelet etiquette rules are to follow.
1. Choose the Right Occasion
First and foremost, ankle bracelets or gold anklets may not be that appropriate in the workplace or professional setting unless people work in a Hollister store or equivalent.
Ankle bracelets that make noise or have bells or chimes on them are also unsuitable in quiet public places. There are numerous situations in which wearing an anklet is perfectly acceptable including:
- At a festival
- On vacation
- Relaxing poolside
- At the beach
- Casual summer party (like in summer cocktail party, women’s cute dress calls for a matching bohemian anklet)
- Everyday running errands (The anklets combined with sneakers is worth try)
Anklets are also an excellent option for those who want to show off their legs in warm weather. They look incredibly chic when paired with a new pedicure and fashionable footwear.
2. Positioning the Anklet
When it comes to how to wear an anklet, some choose to wear it loosely hanging from the ankle while others prefer it to be snug and above the ankle bone.
To measure the proper size, first, wrap around a measuring tape where you want to wear the bracelet. Second, Add a half inch to the measurement. Here we list women’s standard anklet sizes below:
- 8.5 inches / 21.5cm (petite).
- 9 inches / 23cm (small)-the average anklet size.
- 9.5 inches / 24.15cm (medium)-popular size.
- 10 inches / 25.5cm (large).
If making a mistake with the size, they can always make up for it with necklace extenders.
3. Match the Personal Style
Whatever anklets people wear, make sure they reflect their style.
- Age is a factor. People over 18 wouldn’t select an ankle bracelet with a lot of youthful beading. On the contrary, a minimalist thin metal chain would be more mature and understated making a serious style statement.
- Likewise, avoid wearing an anklet dripping with tassels and gems unless the women are fans of the bohemian look and prefer smart, glamorous fashion. In this case, a pretty, jeweled option will be more suitable.
4. Consider the Outfit
- Make sure to pair the anklets with killer shoes. The anklets shouldn’t clash but complement with shoes. Ankle bracelets become lost and clash with ankle-strap shoes. However, anklets look incredibly impressive when worn with summer shoes, such as sliders, flip-flops, and backless loafers.
- Wear anklets with proper clothes. Anklets look super chic when matched with a crop top and cropped jeans for a grill out with friends,, or with a casual summer dress for a summer day trip. For vacation, putting on anklets with a cool crochet bikini add a vibe of sass.
- Never wear an anklet over anything, including pantyhose.
- Don’t wear anklets over socks because it’s a fashion faux pas!
5. Moisturize Legs and Manicure Nails
- When wearing anklets, wear them with some killer shoes. Anklets should never clash with shoes. Instead, they should complement what people have on their feet.
- Ankle-strap shoes are not the best option because the ankle bracelet will clash with the strap and become lost. On the contrary, anklets look incredibly impressive when worn with summer shoes, such as sliders and backless loafers.
- Regarding what clothes to wear with ankle bracelets, they look super chic when matched with cropped jeans and a crop top for a grill out with friends or with a throw-on casual summer dress for a day trip.
- What if for people who are on vacation? Pair anklets with a fabulous crochet bikini to add a touch of sass to the beach look.
- When wearing a gold anklet, keep in mind to stick to more formal wear.
Tips on Wearing Anklets
- Maintain a Dainty and Elegant Look
A pair of elegant high heels emerge when a woman opts for a barely dainty anklet. Set out to a cocktail party with that soft caress on foot, and keep it up all night. Charm anklets look great with classic pumps.
- Chain Anklets with Sneakers
Anklet fashion has gone above and beyond by introducing an unusual sneaker-anklet combination. Today’s It-girls are all wearing sneakers with rigid chain anklets that are either tightly wrapped above the ankle or casually handed down.
- Mix and Layer Things Up
There’s a lot of room for mixing and matching. If someone is willing to get her legs in the spotlight, try gold and silver anklets. Wearing a layered anklet or stacking together a couple of anklets is impressive to show creativity. They give a sense of aesthetics pairing with summer sandals, flip-flops, or high heels.
- Keep Eye-catching in Cold Winter
Summer gone, while anklets won’t be tucked away. Wearing anklets over boots is an option. Make sure that the anklet is eye-catching to match the boots. All-black ankle boots with a rhinestone-studded chain anklet hanging over the top will be the best combination.
Ankle bracelets are great summer birthday gifts. The anklet styles vary from the most simple to the most outrageous. Some types of anklets are listed below:
- Double Anklets
- Charm Anklets
- Initial Anklets
- Beaded anklets
- Evil Eye Anklet
- Gold anklets
- Silver anklets
- Leather anklets
- Anklets accented with diamonds or gemstones
- Can men wear an anklet?
Men can wear anklets just like they wear bracelets. But keep men’s anklets in low profile and minimalist design.
- Do lesbians wear anklets?
Yes. Most lesbians wear anklets.
- What does it mean if you wear an anklet on the right ankle?
An anklet on the right ankle could indicate someone is single and searching.
- What is the scientific reason behind wearing anklets?
Wearing silver anklets has a scientific basis. Wearing anklets helps to re-vibrate one’s energy. Silver anklets will alleviate leg pain and weakness. As a result, many grandmas who followed the Indian tradition are still alive and well.
- Is it good to wear silver anklets?
It boosts the immune system. A nice silver anklet looks lovely on the ankle and works wonders on the body, providing numerous health benefits. Wearing silver anklets activates lymph glands and enhances immunity.
When worn correctly, in the right place, and in proper style, with the complimentary outfit, etc., your ankle bracelets can make a more elevated look on customers. One more tip: the summer seashell anklets are selling hot now. Check it out here.